Thursday, December 21, 2006

Velvet Elvis

I just finished a book that my pastor had recommended me reading for over a year now...The book is Velvet Elvis by Rob Bell
At first I was like "what could this book really be about-he is just rambling on & on..."
Then he got to the point, the big point. Actually "points".
We as Christians are so up on becoming a christian then living the good, easy life...no way, God actually said it would not be easy...many of us struggle daily with everyday, everything and don't really admit it...to anyone, especially our brothers & sisters in Christ. Well, I'm sick of the game! Yes, that's right, sick of it. Let's get real. Let's get personal, let's get down right dirty and clean up our junk!
Over the years, I have played the role of SUPERMOM...well, I'm not. And I'm tired of this role. In Bell's book he states,"I meet so many people who have superwhater rattling around in their head. They have this person convinced they are supposed to be, and their superwhatever is killing them. They have this image they picked up over the years of how they are supposed to look and act and work and play and talk, and it's like a voice that never stops shouting in their ear.
And the only way to not be killed by it is to shoot first.
Yes, that is what I meant to write.
You have to kill your superwhater."

So, I shot. SUPERMOM is gone. I can't do it all, I can't BE it all...and I'm okay with that. Sometimes I need help...and I'm gonna start asking for it. My mother in law(who is now living with us)keeps saying things like "why don't you put up more decorations on the house...around the house, on the deck..." And I am simply not even fazed by it...normally I would have hurried to content her, hurried to make all perfect, hurried to please...nope, not any more. SUPERMOM is dead. I don't have time to do more decorating...that's not what this season is about anyway. I am doing just fine with what I AM doing. And that is loving my kids, my husband, my family, my friends, reaching out to my neighbors, being a child of God, homeschooling my daughter...the list goes on...so all of the other "stuff" that I THINK is important, really is not. I can't do it all. And I am finally at peace with this "new idea".

SUPERMOM has left the building.

No comments: