Saturday, March 25, 2006

I want my hair to look like Lucy Pevency!

So Abby says to me the other day,"Mom, I think I'd like to cut my hair to look like Lucy Pevency(on the Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe)"
"Really" I sort of set the idea aside because I adore Abby's long hair. And also because everyday she wants to "pretend" that she is someone from some story or movie. So I thought that this was just one of those moments...well, she continued with the thought and asked me again.
"Would you really want to cut your hair?" I asked her.
"Oh yes!" she said with excitement.
I then remembered a friend of mine sharing with me how she had donated her hair to "Locks of Love" which is a non-profit organization that takes donated hair and makes wigs for kids that lost theirs to cancer or other reasons. After some research, I presented it to Abby and asked her what she thought of it...she lit up and said "Yes, I want to do that-I want to help another kid"

This is so much like her. She is so giving and so willing to help others. She loved the idea and it gave us such a neat way of teaching her about reaching out to people. So after a brief photo session WITH her long hair, I set up the appointment...
She was beside herself, so excited about the idea. I'm sure because she was now going to look like Lucy Pevency but also because some other little girl was going to receive her hair. The hair stylist looked at several pictures of Lucy and sat Abby down in the chair. Then it was gone. I was also getting my hair cut and when I had the opportunity I turned to look at "my Lucy"...wow...what a different girl! She grew up right before my eyes. More beautiful than ever because as she sat there she shared with everyone why she was doing it..."I'm giving my hair to someone that doesnt have any"
I about cried. What an amazing sacrifice. Ten inches of beautiful flowing hair cut off so that another little girls prayers could be answered...

So here she is...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing! You have 2 amazing kids!