Tuesday, April 18, 2006

What have you done for me lately?

When we moved from Kent to Medina I was so excited to see where God was going to place us. I knew where our house would be but I'm talking about where as in "people placement". I love the idea of meeting new people and shining God's light in new ways...over the two years that we've been here we have met and tried our best to embrace people the way that God would want us to. The problem was that they werent real responsive. We invited them to baseball games, ladies get-togethers and stuff like that but many times we were turned down. "God,(I prayed) I thought this was the place you have put me...why is this reaching stuff not working?"
After being frusturated and down about not connecting the way that we had hoped I realized that Jesus had the same problem. Not everyone followed him, not everyone believed, not everyone treated him kindly. But he never gave up. He just loved. He just listened.
We never were the "turn or burn" type christians that constantly harrassed people with their fate...but I do want people to know that we are different. I want them to wonder who we are and why we are the way that we are...DO THEY...? Do they see a difference? I don't know. I hope so. I pray so.
Then God reminded me that it is not always in the big stuff that people see Jesus. It is in the everyday life. The small & short conversations about nothing that they see our sparkle in our eyes, it's the way that we love within our family...it's our life. So as the idea of moving and leaving Medina comes to light-I often ask"what have I done for you lately?"
So today as we were playing outside...I just loved. I just listened. My friend Emily had a great post about loving people and looking for opportunities to love...she & her husband Matt nailed it. The listened with God's heart and acted upon his voice...read what Emily said below...


::An Easter Visit::
We came home from vacation to a bare fridge and empty cupboards. Aunt Ally came to play with Addelyne so Matt and I headed out to the grocery store. We hate paying high prices for food, so we shop at Marc's and Aldi's. We avoid, Tops, Giant Eagle, and, God forbid, Buehler's at all costs!
After a 12 hour drive home from Hilton Head, we opted for Aldi's because it was closest. We quickly circled the store, filling up our cart with vegetables, fruit, meat, and several staple items. The checkout lines were long and so I had plenty of time to people watch. I quickly settled on the woman and her daughter in front of us. The woman looked weary, older than her age, and beaten down by life. Her daughter was inquisitive, friendly and boisterous. The woman had a handful of items in her cart and I saw her pull out a warn wallet and thumb through a few crumpled bills. She looked from the groceries to her wallet and I could see her mentally adding up the total in her head.
My heart broke.
She had $16 to spend and had to choose several things to put back from her meager selection. I looked at Matt pleadingly. We didn't know what to do because we didn't want to hurt her pride or offend her. But my heart wouldn't allow inaction. As she was leaving the store, I asked the cashier to ring the items she couldn't pay for--juice and several packs of lunch meat. My heart pounded as I approached her and handed her the groceries. How would she react?
She looked at me incredulously and said, "You bought these for me?" She was so appreciative. I nodded and smiled; words weren't necessary and, even if I could have found the right ones, they would have been overwhelmed by tears.
I bit my lip until we got outside, but I couldn't hold it in any longer. Sobs overwhelmed me and I cried on and off the whole way home. Matt's eyes glistened too.
Please, don't read this story and think, "Oh, Matt and Emily are so great." We're not. The times I don't do anything, or worse--I don't even notice--greatly outnumber the moments when God prompts me to act.
I share this story to remind you of God's economy; the whole love your neighbor as yourself thing. We wouldn't need welfare, WIC, Head Start, and the host of other government and state programs if we followed His plan for caring for those who need help.
This passage kept flooding my mind and I'll leave you with its simple, beautiful truth.
Matthew 25:34-4034 Then the King will say to those on the right, `Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. 36 I was naked, and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.'"37 "Then these righteous ones will reply, `Lord, when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38 Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? 39 When did we ever see you sick or in prison, and visit you?' 40 And the King will tell them, `I assure you, when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'"
May God unexpectedly visit you this Easter!

No comments: